Below are details of parish groups that are currently meeting:
Email ➞ For further InformationPreparation for the Sacraments of First Confession, First Communion and Confirmation is led by a team of catechists in our parish for Catholic children who live in our parish.
- First Confession is for baptised Catholic children in Year 3 and above. Parents are asked to register their child before the end of November, so that preparation begins in December and the Sacrament is celebrated during Lent the following year.
- First Communion is for baptised Catholic children who have already made their First Confession and who are in Year 4 and above. Preparation begins after Easter, and the First Communion Masses take place in June.
- Confirmation is for baptised Catholic children who have made their First Confession & Communion and who are in Year 6 and above. Parents are asked to register their child by the end of June in the summer before the child starts Year 6, so that preparation begins in September and the Sacrament is celebrated in January.
Parish Centre Bookings Secretary
- E-mail ➞ Freda Mortimer
The Parish Centre is the social hub of the Parish & hosts many social occasions eg Beer Festival, Pantomime, Murder Mystery Evenings, Quiz Nights and Sunday morning coffee & bacon sandwiches.
Parish Groups regularly meet in the hall, such as First Sacraments, Youth SVP, Toddler Group, the Parish Theatre Group.
The hall is available to hire for private parties and we have regular groups who hire it weekly such as Slimming World.
1st Monday of every Month, 7pm in the Church Porch
E-mail ➞ Freda Mortimer
The Parish Society of St Vincent de Paul was re-founded in 1998 by Fr Michael O‘Reilly, and the first President was Mr John Whitworth. John remained as President for sixteen years, a period which saw the SVP become a much respected and well-supported parish organisation.
Our SVP seeks to give practical expression to our Christian faith. In the words of an SVP prayer, we seek to bring the love of Christ to the suffering or deprived.
The works of the Conference are many and varied. We visit people either in their own homes, in a care home or in a hospital. Material assistance can be given through the provision of furniture, white goods, Asda vouchers, or the Leeds North West Foodbank.
For more professional advice, clients are referred to St Vincent’s Support Centre in Leeds. St Vincent’s is also helped through our financial donations, the Christmas toy and Easter egg appeals, and parish participation in the annual sponsored walk.
Social occasions for the housebound and those who have had a challenging year, are catered for through the very successful Cornmill lunch and the annual Christmas party. Masses for those who are sick have also been arranged. The Conference also supports our persecuted brothers and sisters through the work of Aid to the Church in Need.
The current officers of the Society are:
- Christopher Hirst (President)
- Freda Mortimer (Treasurer)
The Conference is supported magnificently by the tremendous financial generosity of the parish.
Meet Tuesdays, 7.30 – 9.30pm
- Parish Centre
The Parish has had an active theatre group for many years and is open to anyone over the age of 14 years. Occasionally younger children are recruited for a particular show.
We have two shows a year, one a musical revue and the other a pantomime. Rehearsals for the Pantomime will be starting in September - would you like to join us?
We are a friendly group and welcome any would be performers, also anyone who prefers a backstage role such as scenery painting, costume making or just helping on show nights with front of house or lighting.
Thursdays 9-11am [Term Time only]
- Parish Centre
Admission £1 per child, 2nd child 50p
Email ➞ Freda Mortimer
- 9:00 am Play & Craft time
- 10:00 am Refreshments (Toast, fresh fruit & a drink for children: Tea, coffee & biscuits for adults)
- 10:20 am Play & Craft time continues
- 10.45 am Story time & Singing with musical instruments.
We welcome any child from birth to nursery age and it is also an opportunity for mums, dads, grandparents and childminders to meet each other and spend time together. Our aim is to offer all the opportunity to spend time with their children and make new friends in a relaxed and friendly environment.